Kitchen Cabinet Hardware - The Golden Years
|There is a reason that old age is called the Golden Years. With the daily concerns of raising children behind you, this is really your time to shine. Seniors can, and should, embrace this period in their lives when they can finally rediscover the ambitions of their youth. As our loved ones celebrate another birthday, we can do our part to make this transition more enjoyable by ensuring their successful independence. With just a few small changes around the home, we can really watch our elderly loved ones rise to the opportunity.
- Super size the cabinet knobs and cabinet handles. When it comes to kitchen cabinet hardware, bigger is better. Cup pulls offer a large surface area, making this an easier grasp for arthritic or stiff joints. Trade in smaller, daintier cabinet knobs for larger cabinet knobs and pulls that will also be easier to grip. There are thousands of options in substantial kitchen cabinet hardware, so you won't have to compromise style for ease of use.
- Install gliding drawers and shelves. Cabinet organizers like blind corner cabinet shelves that spring out to meet you and lazy susans that rotate for full access make accessing and using everything in the kitchen a snap. From food items and ingredients to pots and containers, cabinet organizers will keep it all within reach.
- Ensure that clean up time is also manageable with pivot out garbage cans that can be installed to the door of a cabinet or gliding garbage cans that pull out with just a single light tug. Alternatively, if Grandpa insists on taking out the trash, you are better off investing in a few small garbage cans so that each one is lighter to change.
- For the super ambitious grandmothers, you'll want to install appliance pulls. Appliance pulls lift heavy appliances up and out of the cabinets, so you don't have to strain or lift at all. From mixers to food processors and even sewing machines, appliance pulls keep your favorite hobbies going throughout your Golden Years.
Avoiding Bedroom Bedlam
- Install pull down closet rods so that Grams and Gramps never have to climb up on a step stool to reach their extra sweater or favorite pair of dress pants.
- For all those little items that get lost or muddled so easily, cosmetic drawer organizers are the answer. From medications to spare change, jewelry and hair accessories, keep things organized and easy to find in cosmetic drawer organizers with multiple compartments.
- Gliding hampers ensure that laundry is easy to dispose of and accessible when needed. On the subject of laundry...
- A laundry cart on wheels will help keep laundry day manageable as well. With plenty of room for detergent, dryer sheets, and clothing, nobody has to keep going back and forth for various items. When laundry is finished, these carts are lightweight and easy to move around from room to room, so putting clothing away is a cinch too.
Security in the Bathroom
- No slip mats are a must in the shower or tub. Make sure it is one that securely adheres to the floor to avoid getting feet caught under it and tripping.
- Grab bars are another imperative for bathroom safety. Install several around the bathroom, in the shower/tub, near the toilet and next to the sink.
- Replace the smaller cabinet handles and cabinet knobs in here for more prominent ones as discussed above. Make sure that these cabinet handles or knobs are water-resistant to withstand the moisture that is always present in this room.
||They've given to the world for the better part of their lives. Now they deserve some time to sit back and focus on themselves. Old Age can be the dawn of an exciting new era in a senior's life, a chance to develop new interests or unfulfilled passions. Gear up your house to accommodate this new lifestyle, and let your loved ones start living life anew.